Jay Pankratz, Sunrise Church
person who is faithful to God
person to faith in Jesus
person to maturity in Christ
"Vision without integrity, strategy and sacrifice is only a dream."
The following lays out a basic strategy for Christian growth and ministry. Following this process will help a person to fulfill the purpose of God for his or her life. This process does not include everything that needs to happen in our lives, but does give the basic process for Christian maturity. Every Christian should be continually growing in all three areas of Being One, Bringing One, and Building One.
TO BE ONE WHO IS FAITHFUL TO GOD, ONE MUST BE FAITHFUL IN THE BASIC THINGS OF GOD (Colossians 2:6-7; Galatians 6:7-8). Spiritual growth is having the faith and discipline to be obedient and grow in the following basics:
JESUS -- All spiritual life and growth flows out of our personal relationship with Him (John 15:5; Mark 3:14).
Receive Him (John 1:12)
Know Him (Philippians 3:8-10)
Follow Him (Mark 8:34)
BIBLE--Daily intake from and obedience to the Bible (Matthew 4:4; Acts 20:32).
Hear It (Romans 10:17)
Read It (Revelation 1:3)
Study It (Acts 17:11)
Memorize It (Psalm 119:9, 11)
Meditate On It (Psalm 1:2)
Obey It (John 14:21)
PRAYER --Talk to God in private daily and in groups often (John 16:24).
Confession (Psalm 66:18)
Adoration (Psalm 106:1)
Thanksgiving (Philipians 4:6-7)
Seeking Requests (James 4:2-3)
PURITY--Purity before God and people in all we think, say, and do (Matthew 5:8).
Repentance of Sin
Purity in Thoughts and Motivations
Morality in Actions
Humility in Attitudes
Honesty in Communication
Integrity in Lifestyle
GIVING--Generously and regularly give to God (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).
FAMILY--Demonstrate attitudes and actions which build up your family (Ephesians 5:21-6:4).
CHURCH--Grow and help build others (Matthew 16:18).
WITNESSING--Seek to bring others to a personal relationship with Jesus (Matthew 4:19; Acts 1:8).
Prayer to God
Relationship of Integrity
Information About Jesus
Challenge to Commitment
Embracing Into Church
REPRODUCTION--Personally reproduce your spiritual life in another person (2 Timothy 2:2).
Pray for Him
FAITH--Trust God by faith to do great things (2 Corinthians 5:7).
Faith to Obey His Word
Faith to Trust His Promises
Faith to Make Sacrifices
Faith to Pursue New Challenges
Faith to Persevere Through Adversity
Being an effective Christian is knowing Jesus, loving God and people, obeying God's Word, growing in the basics and reproducing them in others.
The P.R.I.C.E. to bring someone to Jesus includes these steps:
PRAYER TO GOD (Acts 1:14)
Pray for laborers who will reach out to the lost (Matthew 9:36-38).
- Pray for those who are reaching out to lost people.
- Pray for those who should be reaching out to lost people.
- Pray that you would reach out to lost people.
Pray for lost people to come to Jesus (Romans 10:1).
- Make a list of those in your circle of influence and pray for them daily.
Pray for love that will be apparent to the lost (Mark 12:31).
- Pray for wisdom, creativity, and compassion to show acts of kindness to the lost and for the courage to tell them about Jesus.
RELATIONSHIP OF INTEGRITY (Acts 2:14-16; 45-47; John 4)
Go where they are.
- Go where you can make friendly contact with the lost---work, sports, music, neighbors, fitness center, school, hobbies, etc.
- Don't become what they are spiritually and morally.
Be a friend.
- Meet a need.
- Heal a hurt.
- Share an enjoyment.
- Play a sport.
- Throw a party.
- Ask a favor.
- Be honest and fair.
- Be cheerful and positive.
- Pursue excellence and quality.
- Show compassion and sensitivity.
- Demonstrate acts of kindness and helpfulness.
INFORMATION ABOUT JESUS (Acts 2:21-24)
Share your history of coming to Jesus.
- Carefully prepare and share the story of how you came to know Jesus Christ and some positive results of that relationship.
- Clearly present the gospel in your story.
Explain the Gospel.
- God loves you and wants you to be with Him.
- Sin separates all people from God.
- Jesus Christ died as our substitute to pay for all our sins.
- You must personally believe and receive Jesus into your life.
Bring them to church.
- Get them involved in a church outreach group-sports, etc.
- Bring them to a church service that is seeker-sensitive.
Utilize some good tools.
- Use books, tracts, tapes, videos, etc., that are attractive to lost people and communicate the gospel in a positive and clear manner.
CHALLENGE TO COMMITMENT (Acts 2:38-40)
Make sure they understand the Gospel.
- After presenting the Gospel, ask "Does this all make sense to you?"
- Don't try to pick green fruit.
Ask them to receive Jesus as their only Savior and Lord.
- Ask, "Is there anything that would keep you from accepting Jesus into your life right now?"
- If they say, "No," ask, "Would you like to receive Jesus into your heart now?"
- If they say, "Yes," tell them what to pray. "I want to turn from my sin. I believe that Jesus died to pay for my sin. I now want Jesus to come into my life as my only Savior. I give Him the total leadership of my life."
- Let them pray as you coach them in their prayer.
Challenge them to ackowledge their commitment publically.
- Telling others about Jesus helps cement the decision that they have made (Romans 10:9-10).
EMBRACE INTO THE CHURCH (Acts 2:41-47)
Get them started in follow-up.
- Immediately set-up a time to meet individually with them.
- Get them started on the 1-1 follow-up material.
Bring them to church.
- Pick them up and bring them to church.
- Sit with them in church.
- Show them around.
- Answer their questions about church.
- Alleviate their fears about church.
- Take them to the next Discovery Class.
Include them in your friendship circles.
- Introduce them to your Christian friends.
- Spend time with them and be a real friend to them.
ASSIMILATING to Worship Regularly:
Attends church regularly (ongoing).
- Invite them to church.
- Invite them to sit with you at church.
- Pick them up and bring them to church.
- Invite them for a meal after church.
- Invite them over to your home for a meal.
- Spend social time together.
- Invite them to basketball or some other assimilation type ministry.
Has received Christ and completed membership.
- Invite them to Sunday Evening Service, etc.
- Find out if they have a personal relationship with God.
- Use tools and your personal testimony to give them a clear explanation of the gospel.
- Personally share the gospel with them and invite them to receive Christ.
- Invite and go with them to the membership class.
Is involved in an entry-level ministry.
- Find out if they are serving in ministry.
- Discover areas where they would like to serve (use a spiritual gifts test).
- Have them serve in a ministry with you.
- Introduce them to someone who will get them involved.
- Create a job for them if they are in a small group.
DISCIPLING to Mature Spiritually:
Has completed 1-1 Follow-up.
- Do follow-up with them yourself.
- Line someone else up to do follow-up with them.
Has completed Discovery 1.
- Invite them to Discovery 2.
- Go with them to Discovery 2.
Has completed 1-1 Discipleship.
- Do 1-1 Discipleship.
- Line someone else up to do 1-1 Discipleship with them.
Has daily Bible and prayer time (ongoing).
- Find out about their devotional life.
- Teach and show them how to have devotions by doing them together.
- Hold them accountable and encourage them in regular devotions.
Is involved in a small group (ongoing).
- Encourage them to attend a small group.
- Invite them to attend your small group.
- Pick them up and bring them to your small group.
Is involved in outreach (ongoing).
- Invite them to join you for the church outreaches.
- Encourage them to join you in the small group outreaches.
- Arrange or confirm they have training in how to share their faith.
EQUIPPING to Lead People:
Has discipled someone (1-1 Follow-up and 1-1 Discipleship).
- Find out if they have reproduced in anyone's life.
- Help them find someone who is FAT (faithful, available, and teachable) to disciple.
Has completed basic doctrine class.
- Encourage them to attend a Sunday morning class.
- Bring them with you to your class.
Is involved in a major ministry (ongoing).
- Challenge them to a major responsibility such as a small group apprentice or leader.
- Arrange for someone else to challenge them to a major responsibility.
Is involved in personal evangelism (ongoing).
- Take them with you on an evangelistic appointment.
- Get them involved in an evangelistic training program.
- Have them join the Spiritual Growth Ministry for on-the-job training.
Is receiving specific ministry training (ongoing).
- Confirm that they have the ongoing training to make them successful, such as small group apprentice training and small group leaders meetings.
COACHING to Reproduce Leaders
Is modeling and teaching specific ministry training to ministry leaders (ongoing).
- Confirm there is a structure that is Biblical and effective for this to take place, such as the small group coaches.
Is developing and placing ministry leaders who are active in equipping (ongoing).
- Encourage and develop accountability for their effectiveness in the assimilating, discipling, equipping, and coaching process, such as the small group coaches meetings.
Is leading ministry leaders who are active in equipping (ongoing).
- Is demonstrating effectiveness at nurturing, discipling, equipping, and mobilizing leadership for life and ministry, such as the small group coaches.
(Mentoring to Reproduce)
Is modeling and teaching specific ministry skills to individuals who reproduce their lives into other people (ongoing).
- Has become highly trained and highly effective in a specific area of ministry, such as counseling, ministry placement, 1-1 Follow-up, 1-1 Discipleship, evangelism, outreach, etc.
Is recruiting and developing individuals who are mentoring others (ongoing).
- Is raising up disciples who in turn reproduce these skills in others, such as counseling, ministry placement, 1-1 Follow-up, 1-1 Discipleship, evangelism, outreach, etc.